Book Review: Oxford Whispers by Marion Croslydon

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Book Cover: Oxford Whispers by Marion Croslydon

Oxford Whispers by Marion Croslydon

#1 in The Oxford Trilogy series


Genre: Paranormal Romance

Format: Ebook, 324 pages
Published On: August 23, 2012
Source: Grabbed it as Kindle freebie.

Listen to SoundtrackOgle the Dream Cast

GoodreadsShelfariLibraryThing
AmazonBarnes & Noble

First Sentence: "I CANNOT BREATHE."

After beeing latest rage in contemporary romance novels, new adult trend tries to spread influence into urban fantasy and paranormal genre. Oxford Whispers by Marion Croslydon follows a typical plot of a girl on college in a new environment that struggles with problems from past and present while trying to secure a better future.

Madison LeBon tries to escape her Louisiana roots, all the way across the ocean to the Oxford University, England. 'You can run away but you can't hide' proves right once again when one look at picture 'The Wounded Cavalier' by William Shakespeare Burton awakens whispers of the past that haunt her to solve their mystery... Madison struggles to accept awakening of her magical powers, getting accepted into new environment and attraction to the mouth-watering, rich and oh-so-not-her-type Rupert Vance.

Snippets from Oxford Whispers by Marion Croslydon
Madison on Oxford Whispers cover ♦ Oxford, Christ Church ♦ details from picture 'The Wounded Cavalier'

Oxford Whispers tracks two stories: one set in present about Madison and other set in 1650 about Sarah and wounded Cavalier. Although there will be ghosts, mystery and magic, Oxford Whispers is more paranormal romance than urban fantasy. The paranormal elements are not much explained, you just have to accept them as it is. All we know about Madison's abilities is on demonstration basis and her explanation that they are part of her family heritage. Maybe the next part of The Oxford Trilogy will tell us more about whys and hows...

The center of the book is romance between Madison and Rupert and everything else is just plot element to push them together or drive them apart. And the romance is gooood. Although there is instant attraction, Madison and Rupert don't just jump into it and their feelings take time to develop. For all who like to have swoon-worthy heroes, don't worry Marion Croslydon got you covered. I'll let Madison describe Rupert to you:

"He's hotter than the hinges on the gates of hell."

"The full-lips-slash-chiseled-cheekbones combo was full-on cliche, but would melt a freaking iceberg."

"All things considered, for a guy that rich, he seemed relatively down to earth. Emphasis on relatively."

Snippets about Rupert from Oxford Whispers by Marion Croslydon
Eddie Redmayne (Marion Croslydon's dream cast for Rupert) ♦ Morgan RoadsterOxford boat raceFirst kiss

I could not establish any particular connection to characters in Oxford Whispers, so I felt a little bit detached while reading. I didn't like them or dislike them. When something was funny I laughed, when they were sad - well, I didn't laugh but I wasn't sad either. I don't know about you, but this is okay with me - not all books can be earth-shattering experience. With Oxford Whispers I could just relax without any care in the world. And, although I thought I got mystery all figured, I didn't guess who the villain is. Marion Croslydon:Me - 1:0. xD

So if you are looking for some urban fantasy novel with deep characterisation and complex magical system then this is not book for you. But if you just want to kick back your heels, relax and enjoy a light mystery and nice romance story sprinkled with paranormal elements then Oxford Whispers may be the book you are looking for.

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5

I recommend this book to fans of: new adult contemporary romance novels who would like to try a bit of paranormal and mystery; new girl on college plot; Oxford (there are a lot of beautiful descriptions); instant-attraction but-you-are-not/too-good-for-me type of romance; rich, confident, playboy heroes tortured by their past; ...

Other books by Marion Croslydon: None, this is her debut.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This is not the book I'm looking for. Haha. Characterization is what it's ALL about. Plus, mystery isn't really my thing.

    Of course she has a checkered past. ALL college students do. They're tortured. Thankfully, I've graduated and moved on to my better future. Phew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My largest pet peeve I think is when they do not explain magic powers. Here she has voodoo origin's and then suddenly is is throwing fireballs. How is that connected :? (I didn't want to put that in review because of spoilers but if someone reads it here... well.. take that for reading our conversation lol)

      Yeah poor college students. As my husband would say when I start to talk about my childhood/teen years: "Oh no, another tragic story..." He's so mean, it's not my fault I was spoiled and pampered as a kid. :D

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images