Book Review: Losing It by Cora Carmack

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Book Cover: Losing It by Cora Carmack

Losing It by Cora Carmack

#1 in Losing It series


Genre: Contemporary Romance

Format: Ebook, 289 pages
Published On: December 5, 2012 by William Morrow Paperbacks
Source: Requested for review via Edelweiss.

Read an Excerpt

GoodreadsShelfariLibraryThing
AmazonBarnes & NobleThe Book Depository

First Sentence: "I took a deep breath."

Bliss Edwards is a control freak. And that's the reason why she is is a couple of months from graduation and a virgin. As every self-respecting control freak would do she decides that enough is enough and she's gonna 'lose it' before the college is over.

When Bliss confesses the horrible v-truth to her best friend Kelsey, she's got the solution for the problem: slutty outfit, popular bar and a lot of tequila. Kelsey is determined that Bliss is going to have a one-night stand and solve 'the problem' tonight.

But in the bar Bliss still does not feel a spark of attraction for anyone until:

"That was when I noticed him. Well, technically, I noticed the book first."

And that's when Bliss, although she has the lamest name ever, won me over completely. Because I knew that I could spot a book in a crowded bar also. :D

As usual, there are a lot of cliches here but somehow Cora Carmack made them work for me. The blushing, the clumsiness... Even the love triangle can be a good thing if you do it right. I could understand why Bliss was stretched between two guys and had trouble choosing. And who-should-I-pick didn't go on and on eternally for the sake of the tension and making the plot more intense. No, Bliss, quickly decides who is the guy she wants.

I also enjoyed humor and awkward situations that Bliss kept falling into. Reminded me of Kristan Higgins or Aisling Grey from You Slay Me. I'm gonna give you a glimpse of what to expect:

"It wasn't until I'd walked halfway across the parking lot that I realized:
 1. I wasn't wearing shoes.
    A. Or a shirt.
 2. I didn't bring my keys.
    A. Or anything really.
 3. I'd just left a complete stranger in my apartment.
    A. Naked.
Whoever said one-night stands were supposed to be simple with no strings attached had clearly never met the disaster that was me."

There are a lot of new adult contemporary romance novels flooding the market right now, but Losing It won a place in my heart with a cute love story with a slow build-up, array of quirky side characters and a lot of funny situations that made me chuckle. It's a perfect read for romance fans when they want to kick-back they heals and relax.

My Rating: 4 out of 5

I recommend this book to fans of: new adult contemporary romance novels set in college; heroes with a British accent; awkward heroines that keep falling into funny situations; if you ever had fantasies about some sexy professor; if you liked Easy by Tammara Webber; ...

Other books by Cora Carmack: None, this is her debut.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Oh good. I'm glad you enjoyed this, since I have a review copy coming. Didn't read the review, because I don't want to steal inadvertently, but I'm cheering that I will hopefully like it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't much of a review... I'm very bad at reviewing romance novels. :) Yes, I liked this one, it was light and fun read. I hope you enjoy it too. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for stoppin by my blog earlier! Great review, and Im glad that you liked this book too. I agree with everything you said, especially about Bliss choosin quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just hate it when writer drags on love triangle trough entire series. I always want to yell: "Pick one for god's sake!" :)
      I'm glad that we both enjoyed this book, now we have to wait for the next book in the series. :)

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images