Book Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Thursday, February 07, 2013

Book Cover: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

#1 in Throne of Glass


Genre: YA Fantasy

Format: Ebook, 384 pages
Published On: August 7, 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Source: Purchased.

Read an ExcerptWatch Book Trailer

GoodreadsShelfariLibraryThing
AmazonBarnes & NobleThe Book Depository

17-year-old Celaena Sardothien was one of the MOST NOTORIOUS ASSASSINs in Adarlan until she was arrested and convicted to slow and painful death in the Salt Mines of Endovier. After one year, good luck finally smiles upon her when crown prince of Adarlain, Dorian Havilliard, chooses her as his candidate in contest for King's Champion (glorified name for royal assassin) and offers her freedom in exchange for cooperation. A lot of training are in store for Celaena if she is to regain her strength and defeat all other candidates. You think she has the toughest task? Think again. Because, the most troubles will have Chaol Westfall, Captain of the Royal Guard, as he needs to re-train one of the Adarlan's greatest assassins and stop her from killing any member of Royal family while doing that.

Celaena is so full of contradictions. She's girlish and vulnerable at times but also arrogant, nosy, usually out of line, smart, fast, deadly and kick-ass. Of course I liked her. :) Oh and I almost forgot to mention that she's a complete bookworm who loves to read and adores to talk about books all the time. "What's not to like?"

Celaena Sardothien on covers for different editions of Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Celaena Sardothien on covers for different editions of 'Throne of Glass' [image source]

As I mentioned before Celaena is assassin, so expect a lot of training and fighting, but that's not all 'Throne of Glass' has to offer. There is also sweet slow-building love story. But there is one problem (at least for me it's a bad thing). Yes, we are talking about LOVE TRIANGLE between Celaena, Dorian and Chaol. I must admit I cheered for Chaol from the start because he sees not only beauty but also a deadly side of Celaena. Dorian is more enamored in her good looks, disregard for court rules and that she is not impressed with his tittle. Although I do not say that Dorian loves Celaena less, I just think that Chaol's kind of love offers a real chance of true happiness and that Dorian as a royal heir and prince should regard his position more seriously. Only in fairy tales prince ends up with a beautiful servant girl. In real life, prince marries to achieve happiness for his country and people not for himself. At least good princes do that.


Celaena, Dorian and Chaol from 'Throne of Glass' (image by compoundbreadd @ DeviantArt) [image source]

'Throne of Glass' is set in Adarlan, but we do not have a chance to learn a lot about the country, people and customs. I was especially interested to learn more about history: hinted fae ancestors and magic abilities, I hope these themes will be better developed in 'Crown of Midnight'.

So, if you do not set your standards for world building and character development high, 'Throne of Glass' will offer you an entertaining quick read with intriguing plot and sweet love story. It could have been better, but since it's Sarah Maas's debut I'm giving 4 stars to 'Throne of Glass' and I hope that she will not disappoint me in the next installment of the series. 27th August can not come fast enough. :)

My Rating: 4 out of 5

I recommend this book to fans of: ya high fantasy, kick-ass heroines, love triangles.

Let's Talk:

Did you read 'Throne of Glass'? Did you like it? And of course inevitable question, if you have read the book - team Dorian or team Chaol?

Any other thoughts or comments?

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Good review. I had mixed feelings about this one but the writing was really great, for real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same with me, although I was annoyed with love triangle, good writing and awesome heroine just pulled me in.

      Delete
  2. I loved this one haha. Celaena was badass and awesome. Oh and I'm team Chaol too :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice review,made me remember that i have this book on my to read shelve :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Definitely book worth reading (at least for now), we will see how the story continues ...

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images