Book Review: Dancing with the Devil by Keri Arthur

Monday, July 29, 2013

Book Cover: Dancing with the Devil by Keri Arthur

Dancing with the Devil

#1 in Nikki & Michael series

by Keri Arthur


Age: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Vampires

Format: Ebook, 352 pages
Published On: July 30, 2013
Publisher: Dell (imprint of Random House)
Source: Edelweiss

Read ExcerptWatch Fan-Made Trailer

GoodreadsShelfariLibraryThing
AmazonBarnes & NobleBook Depository

First Sentence: Someone followed her.

Summary

BEYOND THE SHADOWS

Private Investigator Nikki James grew up on the tough streets of Lyndhurst and believes there’s nothing left to surprise her. But all that changes the night she follows a rich man’s daughter into the shadows and finds herself caught in a war between two very different men. One is a madman, intent on destruction. The other has his own heart of darkness.

For three hundred years, Michael Kelly has existed in life’s shadows, gradually learning to control his vampire cravings. He is convinced that no one can breach his formidable barriers—until he meets Nikki. With her powerful psychic abilities, Nikki swiftly invades both his mind and his heart. Nikki knows how dangerous love can be . . . but if she wants to survive, she must place her trust in this man who could easily destroy her. For only together can they overcome the evil threatening to destroy them both.

~ taken from Publisher's Website

My Thoughts

Dancing With the Devil is an 'oldie' written by Keri Arthur in 2001. But this year Dell is re-publishing it with awesome new covers. I am sure all Keri Arthur fans were glad and planned to upgrade their collection.

I have never read anything by Keri Arthur before although I heard some good things about her series Riley Jenson Guardian and Dark Angels. So when I saw Nikki & Michael series available for review on NetGalley, I tentatively requested Dancing With the Devil.

Nikki and Michael by Keri Arthur
New covers for Nikki & Michael series by Keri Arthur.

Dancing With the Devil starts in the usual urban fantasy cliche. We have a heroine Nikki who is private detective, has some psychic/kinetic powers and is on a case looking for a missing girl. But instead of usual mix of mystery everything is explained right away and we are left to watch the game of cat and mouse between Nikki and main villain. Since there are three more books in the series, I had little doubts who will win so there was not really any tension or suspense.

Nikki's personality didn't help to make this book any more interesting. I like my urban fantasy heroines with a little bit more spunk and sarcasm, no matter if they drown me in puns like Charley Davidson or are just pure kick-ass like Cat from Night Huntress series. Nikki was just too plain for my taste. She lived on the streets as a teen but she remained very pure and innocent in some ways. And I didn't like that most of the time she just got in the trouble, Michael had to save her.

Another things that could spice things a bit was romance. But the spark was missing. I could understand why Nikki is attracted to handsome Michael, but there are hints of much deeper psychic connection that I saw no reason for forming. I guess some people can just 'click' but I missed the moment when that happened between them, so the romance felt rather flat and not like a big love story that will drag me in and tickle my curiosity to find out what happens next.

Dancing With the Devil was not really my kind of novel. The case is over and, surprise surprise, Nikki and Michael won and survived. And although Michael did a pretty good impression of Rhett Butler in the end, I am satisfied to leave it at that. I know they will get together in the end and I am not intrigued enough to continue reading this series.

In The End...

For Keri Arthur's fans or those who love reading books about chasing the villains and heroine with damsel-in-distress syndrome, Dancing With the Devil will probably be an enjoyable read.

If you like your heroines with a tougher attitude, good mystery in a story or passionate romance then this is probably not a book/series for you.

My Rating: 3 out of 5

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images