• Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Waiting On Wednesday: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking The Spine. The point is to spotlight one upcoming release that we're eagerly anticipating...

Neil Gaiman is one of my auto-buy authors. He's good at writing anything — children's: Coraline, young adult: Neverwhere, adult: American Gods, fantasy: Stardust, urban fantasy: The Graveyard Book, etc.

So this Wednesday I am waiting on...

Book Cover: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
Genre: Fantasy
Publication Date: June 18, 2013
Goodreads ◊ Amazon

Summary:

A middle-aged man returns to his childhood home to attend a funeral. Although the house he lived in is long gone, he is drawn to the farm at the end of the road, where, when he was seven, he encountered a most remarkable girl, Lettie Hempstock, and her mother and grandmother. He hasn't thought of Lettie in decades, and yet as he sits by the pond (a pond that she'd claimed was an ocean) behind the ramshackle old farmhouse, the unremembered past comes flooding back. And it is a past too strange, too frightening, too dangerous to have happened to anyone, let alone a small boy.

A groundbreaking work as delicate as a butterfly's wing and as menacing as a knife in the dark, The Ocean at the End of the Lane is told with a rare understanding of all that makes us human, and shows the power of stories to reveal and shelter us from the darkness inside and out.

~ taken from Goodreads

Why Am I Waiting On The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman?

  1. Neil Gaiman is one of my auto-buy authors, no matter the genre.
  2. He's proven himself everywhere — children's (Coraline), YA (Neverwhere), adult fiction (American Gods), fantasy (Stardust), urban fantasy (The Graveyard Book) — I can't wait to see what he does next.
  3. I was thrilled the moment I heard a new novel was on the way.

So, those are my reasons why I am waiting on The Ocean at the End of the Lane. What are yours? Did you read any of Neil Gaiman's books? Which one is your favorite?

Feel free to leave links in comments.

20 comments

  1. I've read few of his books and my fave is Stardust. Maybe because it was my first, but I really like it. Others I'm not so fond of maybe I'm still waiting for the moment when I'll become his greatest fan! :)

    PS. Drago mi je da nas ima s ovih prostora! :) Pozdrav! :)

    Here is my WOW post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did not love all of his books, but they always have interesting and original concepts. :)

      Hvala sto si navratila. Pozdrav! :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of his books yet. I love the cover to this one! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to read up on this book and see if it is something I'd enjoy, the cover is quite eye catching.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added this book to my TBR pile last week and I was sucked in because of the cover. I've never actually read any of Geiman's books, so it'd be a really great way to start. Thank you for stopping by on my post :) Have a lovely day!

    Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imaginaton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my WoW! I've never read any of Gaiman's books, but I hear they're so good. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just...gave me...a HEARTATTACK. I am LITERALLY hyperventilating right now. I pride myself on being of THE biggest Gaiman fans, and yet I had NO idea this book was coming out. I am SO ashamed..yet so VERY excited that I came across your post!!

    Are you kidding me! Next SUMMER!? I will BREAK under the anticipation..omg...okay...I'm breathing. Thank you SO much for sharing this!!

    Definitely a new follower =)..via GFC
    _______________
    Reeka @BoundbyWords
    Check out my WoW for this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I am glad that I gave you another reason to look forward to the summer. ;)
      Thanks for stopping by and following.

      Delete
  7. So when I saw this cover for the first time, I couldn't help but think...isn't this the creepiest cover you've ever seen? Cool but supa creepy! :)
    The Brunette Librarian's Waiting on Wednesday Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue is my favorite color so anything blue can not be creepy to me. :)

      Delete
  8. Ooooh! A new Neil Gaiman? Yes please. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, yes, absolutely! I've enjoyed his other books as well, but probably my very favorite would have to be Good Omens, which he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett. Of the books he's written alone, I love Stardust beyond words.

    What I'm waiting on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, more Gaiman!!! I'm partial to Coraline (the book, not the movie).

    Our WoW is at Book Sake. –Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only recently discovered this book and can't wait! Neil Gaiman's books tend to work for me so I'm super excited about this. And the cover is gorgeous too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooohh haven't heard of this author before but this book looks really really good! :D Thanks for stopping by my blog! Old follower! :D

    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this looks really good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've only read on book by Gaiman, The Graveyard Book which I really enjoyed, this sounds really good though and I love the cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Coraline is the only book I've read by him. I did see the Stardust movie and loved it, but I bet the book is so much better. You can always tell when things have been left out of the movie.
    ~Krisha @ Inkk Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read Stardust and there is much difference between movie and book. Especially the ending... You should give it a try. :)

      Delete
  16. Have not read any books by Neil yet. But they all look awesome :D Great pick ;) Pretty cover. <3
    Thank you for commenting on my WoW. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete