In My Mailbox #5: Another Epic Pile Of Books

Sunday, November 11, 2012

In My Mailbox is weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren. The point is to list the books that you either purchased or received for review during last week.

Your Recommendations From Comments

If you have visited my blog before, you have probably noticed that at the end of IMM posts I ask what should I read first from that pile of books.
Book Review: Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version by Philip Pullman
I forgot to tell you last week, but for IMM3 most people voted/mentioned/were interested in Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version by Philip Pullman, so I pushed them up my tbr and reviewed them last week.
I hope it helps you to decide if you would like to read the book. :)
As for IMM4: the book that got most mentions/votes is The Iron King by Julie Kagawa, so I will squeeze it in during this week for read/review.

Thank you all for participating and pushing the good ones up my reading schedule. I LOVED Pullman's version of Brothers Grimm Fairy tales and I hope I will enjoy 'Iron King' too.

What's New On My Kindle?

A lot of new eBooks this week. Since there are a lot of books I divided them in sections by genre for easier reading. And I just loved those cute icons that I accidentally stumbled upon, so I had to use them somewhere. :)

Fantasy

Incarnation by Emma Cornwall
Publication Date: September 18, 2012
Source: Edelweiss

Steampunk & Victorian london. Two of my favorite book settings combined. Lucy Weston with a help of Bram Stoker (author of Dracula) seeks a vampire who transformed her.
( Amazon | Goodreads )
City of Dark Magic by Magnus Flyte
Publication Date: November 27, 2012
Source: NetGalley

When music student Sarah Weston gets a summer job at Prague Castle cataloging Beethoven’s manuscripts, she has no idea that she will also: get arrested, have tantric sex in a public fountain, discover a time-warping drug and catch the attention of a handsome prince.
( Amazon | Goodreads )
The Rise of Ransom City by Felix Gilman
Publication Date: November 27, 2012
Source: NetGalley

This book was not marked as part of the series on Goodreads, so I requested it, but now I saw on Amazon that it is part of Half-Made World series, so I will have to buy and read the previous books before reading it. It will probably take some time until I review it.
( Amazon | Goodreads )
The Ruling Sea (Chathrand Voyages #2) by Robert V.S. Redick
Publication Date: December 28, 2010
( Amazon | Goodreads )
The River of Shadows (Chathrand Voyages #3) by Robert V.S. Redick
Publication Date: April 19, 2011
( Amazon | Goodreads )
Source: NetGalley
Last week I was approved for first part of this epic fantasy series, this week I got second and third too. Can't wait to read them, I will have to make time in my schedule soon.

Science Fiction

The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination: Original Short Fiction for the Modern Evil Genius
Publication Date: February 19, 2013
Source: NetGalley

Just the tittle is recommendation enough to read it. :D This is a collection of stories about mad scientists and evil geniuses from their own point of view.
( Amazon | Goodreads )
Brave New Worlds by John Joseph Adams
Publication Date: December 4, 2012
Source: NetGalley

Stories in this anthology explore the question: what happens when civilization invades and dictates every aspect of your life? Some of my favorite authors contributed: Ursula K. Le Guin, Neil Gaiman, Cory Doctorow, Philip K. Dick, etc.
( Amazon | Goodreads )
Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton
Publication Date: January 1, 2013
Source: NetGalley

Peter F. Hamilton in this book combines the nail-biting suspense of a serial-killer investigation in "a future that seems not merely plausible but inevitable." I like to read how authors imagine that our world will develop. Do you?
( Amazon | Goodreads )
The Sundered by Ruthanne Reid
Publication Date: May 10, 2012
Source: Freebie @ Amazon

"Harry searches for artifacts left over from the time before the water came. When he's given the chance to find a mysterious device that might fix everything, he jumps at it - but this Hope isn't what it seems. In his broken, flooded world, every hope has a price."
( Amazon | Goodreads )

Horror

Zombie Bitches from Hell by Zoot Campbell
Publication Date: February 1, 2011
Source: Freebie @ Amazon

Again the tittle made me lol. The summary promises a good old trashy zombie novel: A plague has turned all the world's women into brain-eating zombies. Kent Zimmer searches for both his girlfriend and a cure. Along the way he encounters hungry undead, psychotic doctors, evil nuns, racist militias, drag queens with machine guns...
( Amazon | Goodreads )
The Road to Nowhere by Lee Argus
Publication Date: January 2, 2011
Source: Freebie @ Amazon

Another zombie novel. But it has my favorite type of start: hero wakes up in room without memory where he is and how he got there.
( Amazon | Goodreads )

Paranormal Romance

The Water Witch (Fairwick Chronicles #2) by Juliet Dark
Publication Date: February 12, 2013
Source: Edelweiss

I just loved first part of this series 'The Demon Lover', it was like adult Harry Potter. Heroine is a professor at college and discovers that her colleges and students are not completely 'normal'. There is a real mix of mythical creatures here and a lot of funny adventures.
( Amazon | Goodreads )
Demon's Curse (Imnada Brotherhood #1) by Alexa Egan
Publication Date: December 26, 2012
Source: Edelweiss

"A fast-paced and captivating debut—the first in the dark and sexy Imnada Brotherhood series about shape shifters in Regency-era England." I hope that the accent will be more on paranormal than on romance part, but I will never know until I read it. :)
( Amazon | Goodreads )

Young Adult Paranormal

Beguiled (Immortal Essence #2)by RaShelle Workman
Publication Date: October 18, 2012
Source: Freebie @ Amazon

I have first book of this series on my Kindle but I did not read it yet. When I saw that second part was free I grabbed the chance to get it. Maybe that will push it up my tbr...
( Amazon | Goodreads )
The Medium (Emily Chambers Spirit Medium Trilogy #1)by C.J. Archer
Publication Date: June 30, 2012
Source: Freebie @ Amazon

What a scary and weird hairstyle. :) But it sounded interesting 17-year old Emily is a medium who accidentally released a shape-shifting demon into the mortal realm. Together with Jacob Beaufort she must send him back... Did I mention that Jacob is a sexy ghost? :)
( Amazon | Goodreads )
A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight #1) by Lisa M. Basso (YA Paranormal)
Publication Date: January 29, 2013
Source: NetGalley

What a beautiful cover! Don't you agree? "Sixteen-year-old Rayna sees angels, and has the medication and weekly therapy sessions to prove it. Now, in remission, Rayna starts fresh at a new school, lands a new job, and desperately tries for normalcy."
( Amazon | Goodreads )
Persephone by Kaitlin Bevis
Publication Date: July 5, 2012
Source: YA Bound

I just love myth about Persephone and Hades so when YA Bound website offered me a review copy of this book I accepted. Can't wait to read this one!
( Amazon | Goodreads )


Well, I hope your fingers do not hurt (again) after scrolling through this epic pile of books. :)

Maybe there are less books than last week, but there are some real chunksters on this pile. I need to speed up my reading and clear up my to-review-asap pile (well at least a little bit).

There is a Book Fair at Friday, so if I manage to review 4 books until then I will treat myself with something nice. Oh, who am I kidding? I'm gonna buy a pile of books either way. LOL :D

What do you think I should read first?
Did you already read something from this pile?
What did you get this week?

Let me know in comments...

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. Incarnation sounds really good. I haven't read anything like it before so I have a feeling it's going to be good. I really hope you enjoy it along with all of your other books. :)

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incarnation is one of my favorites on this list too. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Haven't heard of these but they sound really good! Especially the Persephone one, I absolutely adore greek mythology! New Follower via GFC. Would appreciate it if you could return the favor. :)

    Here's my IMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the shimmer of angels cover. Nice haul this week. Feel free to check out my IMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely an epic pile! They all sound so awesome! I would say that you should read Persephone first! I love retellings! Great books this week!

    Here's my IMM/StS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover for A Shimmer of Angles... Just, I.... *faints* It's so, so gorgeous! And Incarnation sounds fascinating too. Steampunk, the Victorian era, and Bram Stoker? Uh, yes please. :)
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that cover is so beautiful, so many colors but they fit so well together... :) And those were my same thoughts about Incarnation also. LOL
      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  6. Incarnation and City of Dark Magic. You tons of good books. Thanks for visiting my site. Happy Reading :D New Follower

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have such mixed feelings, I should be happy but I am sad because I simply don't have the time to read them all (at least not right now). :o)
      Thanks for following. :)

      Delete
  7. Awesome haul! There's definitely a few that I would love to check out!
    I've been thinking of reading Incarnation! Hope you enjoy it. Also The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination looks awesome! Kind of reminds of Dr.Horrible sing-a-long blog haha

    This is my IMM at Bookmumchies (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about reading 'Incarnation' too, but delayed my reading because of mixed reviews I read. I even forgot that I requested it on Edelweiss, it was so long ago. And then boom they approved my request. Now I am again tempted. And the comment votes are pushing it to the top of candidates for my next weeks read. :)
      I haven't heard about Dr.Horrible sing-a-long blog, I will have to check it out.
      Thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete
  8. Hey there! I was doing some blog hopping and stumbled upon yours. I am now a follower! I hope that you will stop by my blog for a visit and follow back if you would like! :) Here's the link: MaMa's Book Corner I look forward to reading your reviews! I hope that you have had yourself a wonderful weekend! We're snowed in here but oh well, all the more time for blog hopping! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No snow for me yet. I'm so jealous of you, I just adore snow. :) Weekend was good but busy with almost no time for reading. :/
      Thanks for visiting. Enjoy the blog hopping. ;)

      Delete
  9. Hey there! Found you on Book Blogs!

    New follower. I'd appreciate it you could drop by.

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the way you do recommendations at the end of IMM. Very unique and fun! I also like the way you break down your genres! Oooh, I love Persephone and Hades tales, so I would ead that first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is fun and it helps to pick more interesting books from piles, or at least books that people are interested to read about more... :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for stopping by my IMM! Great books, I just got the Water Witch and a Shimmer of Angels too. Incarnation was okay, a little slow moving, but picked up about halfway through. Great books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh :O Incarnation is something I'm really eager to read, so I hope you enjoy this as well as the others :) Have a great week and happy reading!

    Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is quite a haul and thanks again for the Kindle freebie heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice books you have there. Happy readings :)
    LadyBug
    http://english-written-portairt.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images