In My Mailbox #6: A Lot To Be Thankful For

Monday, November 19, 2012

In My Mailbox is weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren. The point is to list the books that you either purchased or received for review during last week.

Sorry, I know I am late with posting this, but the Xbox my husband ordered some time ago came Friday afternoon, so my weekend was spent playing and jumping. Jumping? Yeah, we got Kinect too so there was a lot of hand waving and hoping around. And of course all of our friends stopped by to try it out so I did not have any free time during the weekend. But it was fun. :)

As for the Book Fair I mentioned in my previous IMM, it turned out it was another case of false advertising. One of the bookstores from the city just moved some of their shelves to the center of the mall. There were no book signings or any discounts. So, although I went there with every intention of spending a lot of money on books in the end, I didn't buy any.
Such a big disappointment! I was so sad and determined to console myself by at least buying some ebooks during weekend, but I did not have enough time because of the gaming marathon.

Your Recommendations From Comments

If you have visited my blog before, you have probably noticed that at the end of IMM posts I ask what should I read first from that pile of books.

In IMM4 most people voted/mentioned/were interested in The Iron King by Julie Kagawa, so I pushed this book up my tbr and reviewed it last week.
I hope it helps you to decide if you would like to read the book. :)
As for IMM5: the book that got most mentions/votes is Incarnation by Emma Cornwall, so I will squeeze it in during this week for read/review.

Thank you all for participating and pushing the good ones up my reading schedule. 'Iron King' was entertaining and quick read and I hope I will enjoy 'Incarnation' too.


Ebooks Received For Review During Last Week

A lot of new eBooks during last week. I will try to ban myself from using NetGalley during this week, because if I don't thin-out my to-review pile of books I'm gonna start panicking soon.

Fantasy

A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent by Marie Brennan
Publication Date: February 5, 2013
Source: NetGalley

DRAGONS! I don't know about you but that's enough recommendation for me. :D
( Amazon | Goodreads )
The Six-Gun Tarot by R. S. Belcher
Publication Date: January 22, 2013
Source: NetGalley

"Buffy meets Deadwood in a dark, wildly imaginative historical fantasy." Is this a new trend? I read The Dead of Winter just a couple of weeks ago and now another western with vampires...
( Amazon | Goodreads )
Bard's Oath (Dragonlord #3) by Joanne Bertin
Publication Date: November 27, 2012
Source: NetGalley

I am planning to start 'Dragonlord' series for some time now, because I just adore dragons. I hope getting this book from NetGalley will give me the necessary push to read it.
( Amazon | Goodreads )
Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
Publication Date: October 16, 2012
Source: NetGalley

Did I hear the magic word 'retelling'? I just love reading new versions of already known tales so this was a must-read for me.
( Amazon | Goodreads )
The Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell
Publication Date: January 10, 2013
Source: NetGalley

"Tamora Pierce meets George R. R. Martin in this smart, political, medieval fantasy-thriller." This sounds like it will be an intense and fun read.
( Amazon | Goodreads )
The Obsidian Mirror (Chronoptika #1) by Catherine Fisher
Publication Date: April 23, 2013
Source: NetGalley

Jake's father disappeared while working on a secret project. We follow Jake as he tries to unravel the mystery what really happened...
( Amazon | Goodreads )

Science Fiction

UnEarthly by Rebecca Bloomer
Publication Date: July 27, 2012
Source: Author

I LOVED UnEarthed, so you can imagine my excitement when Rebecca Bloomer offered me a free copy of sequel for review. I can't wait to read it!
( Amazon | Goodreads )
Swipe (Swipe #1) by Evan Angler
Publication Date: May 1, 2012
Source: NetGalley

"Apocalyptic dystopian fiction at its best." Say no more. :D I always like the idea of one general implant (or in this case tattoo) that you only need to swipe to identify/pay etc.
( Amazon | Goodreads )
The Kassa Gambit by M.C. Planck
Publication Date: January 8, 2013
Source: NetGalley

"Centuries after the ecological collapse of Earth, humanity has spread among the stars." I love reading speculative fiction about colonization of other planets and possibility of other sentiment life forms. This sounds very interesting.
( Amazon | Goodreads )

Paranormal

A Conspiracy of Alchemists (The Chronicles of Light and Shadow #1) by Liesel Schwarz
Publication Date: March 5, 2013
Source: Edelweiss

"Eleanor “Elle” Chance, that is—a high-flying dirigible pilot with a taste for adventure and the heroine of this edgy new series that transforms elements of urban fantasy, steampunk, and paranormal romance into pure storytelling gold."
( Amazon | Goodreads )
Elemental: The First (Primord Series #1) by Alexandra May
Publication Date: July 9, 2011
Source: NetGalley

"To Rose Frost, moving house every six months is normal. Another new town here, another new school there, her ability to adapt is as easy as breathing. But everything changes when her parents go overseas and Rose moves in with her grandmother." ... "Her dreams become riddled with a warrior woman called Halíka Dacomé, but are they visions or messages from the future?"
( Amazon | Goodreads )
Entangled (Spellbound #1) by Nikki Jefford
Publication Date: February 20, 2012
Source: NetGalley

This is one of those books that I want to read just because the cover is so beautiful... But it has an interesting plot too: "Two months after dying, seventeen-year-old witch Graylee Perez wakes up in her twin sister Charlene’s body."
( Amazon | Goodreads )


Kindle Freebies

Last week was Thanksgiving and although Europe does not celebrate this Holiday, we sure had a reason to be thankful for - a LOT of Kindle eBooks were free on Amazon.

These are the ones that sounded interesting to me so I had to add them to my Kindle freebies pile.
Books are divided into two sections - adult & ya speculative fiction.
Book tittles are links to Amazon.

Warning: Check the price before clicking buy button, some of these may not be free anymore.

Adult Speculative Fiction Kindle Freebies YA Speculative Fiction Kindle Freebies
What can I say? Are there book hoarders anonymous? :)

What do you think I should read first?
Did you already read something from this pile?
What did you get this week?


Let me know in comments...

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Thanks for stopping by my IMM! Wow, what a great haul! Entangled and Two and Twenty Dark Tales especially caught my eye. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a great haul you got! Super jealous. Feel free to stop by and checkout my IMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great books. I also received The Cadet of Tildor. I'm looking forward to reading it! :)

    Thanks for dropping by my IMM!

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful books! I want them all! I have Two and Twenty Dark Tales as well, looking forward to reading it after the Steam punk anthology I am reading now.

    Shaheen @ Speculating on SpecFic
    Come and check out my new weekly book haul feature, Stocktake Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know so many great books, I simply don't know which one to read first!
      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. I think you should read The Kassa Gambit next. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I think that your vote should be counted as more than one, since I have a feeling that you are expert when this book is in question. :D
      Thanks for advice & stopping by. :)

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images