Top Ten Books I'd Want On A Deserted Island

Tuesday, November 13, 2012


Top Ten Tuesday is weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Each week a new topic is chosen and book bloggers all around the world make a list of their top ten choices.
There are some things that I simply can not do without a list, like a weekly grocery shopping. And if I had to plan what would I want to have with me on deserted island, you could bet that I would make a list too. I will try to limit my list of books to just 10. :)

First we gotta cover the basics: how to survive in the wild. I'm not sure how much Bear Grylls' advice can be really useful (usually when I take a peak at his show he is doing something completely gross) but I hope there will be some good tips & tricks in his book. I didn't read next two books also, but I needed some instructions about medicinal use for herbs and what can I cook/eat out there.

Next, some motivational reading: if these people survived on deserted island - so can I! There are probably more books with this theme, but these are the ones I read and loved the most.

#7: Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

#6: The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne

#5: The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann D. Wyss

Ok, more than half-way there. So what next? I would like to bring some books I haven't read before but how to pick anything from my massive tbr? So I am picking three biggest chunksters (without cheating) based on info on Goodreads about page count. (Yes, I know I am choosing quantity instead of quality but it's my list so :p)
#4: Reamde: A Novel by Neal Stephenson (1056 pages)

#3: The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive) by Brandon Sanderson (1280 pages)

#2: The Stand by Stephen King (1472 pages)

And my number one pick is:
#1: The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks
Just in case... ;)

Ok so this is my list of top ten book I'd want on a deserted island. :)
Let me know what you think, and don't forget to leave a link to your Top Ten.

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. As if it wasn't bad enough to be on a deserted island, you imagine the island will also be home to zombies? That would be the worst!
    Here's my list:
    http://annabelsmith.tumblr.com/post/33157799448/top-10-tuesday-desert-island-books but I wrote that only a month ago so I made another list for today:
    http://annabelsmith.tumblr.com/post/35614437489/top-10-tuesday-sibling-rivalry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I said just in case. I like to be prepared for anything. :D

      Delete
  2. hahah this is amazing! I love how you did this, such a wonderful approach to the predicament.

    I think you choice of novels is spectacular! I loved Way of Kings. It's a lot longer than anything Sanderson wrote, and quite different (as you know he's going to write a ten-book epic, so the first book is slower and its scope is MASSIVE), and I've always wanted to read Reamde. You know what else is huge? Peter F Hamilton's The Great North Road. It's so huge, I literally can't hold it in bed, so reading is going very slow!!

    LOL at the Zombie book, but I agree, better be prepared!

    Shaheen @ Speculating on SpecFic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read 'Way of Kings' just because there are nine more books. I wait for a couple of more parts in series to pile up. :)
      As for 'The Great North Road' fortunately I have an ebook (all of my books weight the same LOL). I plan to try and tackle it in December. :)

      Delete
  3. Great picks, you would really be ready for survival. I highly doubt I'd ever read any of these books. Oh I've read Robinson Crusoe. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I highly doubt that that I will read those survival manuals also. As for the rest... Well I hope someday I will gather courage to tackle those chunksters on my tbr. :)
      And you should try 'The Swiss Family Robinson' - it has an awesome tree house and it's very fun. :)

      Delete
  4. Gasp if there are zombies. Way to be practical & prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love love love your list. we put alot of survival reads on our list two.. but i almost gaged on my coffee when i read the zombie survival guide.. brilliant! you never know you might be on a voo doo island or some some weird stuff like that !! awesomeness ! Check out our TTT ~ Katie @ Inkk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am glad to hear that I made you laugh. :)

      Delete
  6. Love your list! The Stand? I think thats too scary for me lol. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read 'The Mysterious Island'; I'll have to add it to my To-Read list! Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'The Mysterious Island' is my favorite Jules Verne book. You should definitely give it a try! And thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  8. Good thinking on the survival guide:D And my favorite on your list is The Swiss Family Robinson. Most everyone has that on their lists too! Great list ^__^

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images