Novella Review: The Secret Eater by Ros Jackson

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Book Cover: The Secret Eater by Ros Jackson

The Secret Eater

by Ros Jackson


Age: Young Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy

Format: Ebook
Published On: July 15, 2013
Source: Accepted review request

Read an Excerpt

GoodreadsShelfariLibraryThing
Amazon

First Sentence: "I can see you, demon. What do you want?"

Kenssie is a young demon who feeds on secrets. Lately Kenssie does not feel very well, she has problems with even basic demonic power - staying hidden from humans. Kenssie must find solution for this problem before her master finds out. Cooperating with witches and fighting other demons will be inevitable.

When I imagined Kenssie, I always pictured Kenzi from Lost Girl tv series in my mind. Probably because their names are similar. :)

Novellas are one of the hardest things to review. Since they are short, the characters and world are usually not well developed, but Ros Jackson managed to dish a lot of interesting information about the world where demons, witches and half breeds life under unsuspecting human's eyes. And it didn't feel like an info-dump, in fact I was left yearning to know more.

One thing that The Secret Eater is missing is some kind of resolution or a big revelation. Story starts and ends in the middle of events, a lot of questions are left unanswered and we can can only guess what will happen next. This novella feels like it's a prequel to some bigger book. And I hope that my feeling is true, because I would definitely want to read more about Kenssie!

Still if you are in the mood for a short read and you like urban fantasy full of demons, witches and action, give The Secret Eater a chance. You will be definitely signing up my (imaginary) petition for Ros Jackson to write more. :)

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. For a novella, The Secret Eater sounds like a fun and great read. I love Urban fantasy-so I may just have to check this one out some more. Thanks for the great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always read the excerpt to see if it fits your taste. ;)

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images