Book Review: The Reluctant Reaper by Gina X. Grant

Monday, June 17, 2013

Book Cover: The Reluctant Reaper by Gina X Grant

The Reluctant Reaper

#1 in The Reluctant Reaper series

by Gina X. Grant


Age: Adult
Genre: Urban Fantasy

Format: Ebook, 200 pages
Published On: June 17, 2013
Publisher: Pocket Star
Source: Edelweiss

GoodreadsShelfariLibraryThing
AmazonBarnes & NoblePublisher's Website

First Sentence: The morning of my twenty-fifth birthday, I dragged myself into the office feeling hungover and half dead.

Kirsty d’Arc's life just went from bad to worse. She was just trying to save her boss and friend Conrad from some creep in a black Snuggie who threatened him with some kind of laser scythe and the next thing she knows Kirsty is having out of the body experience. They say: go toward the light, but floating through the electric lamps on the ceiling didn't help. What is Kirsty going to do? And why does it seems that the only person who can help her is the guy who 'murdered' her?

Narrated by our heroine Kirsty, story of The Reluctant Reaper quickly leaves the mortal plain and goes straight to hell, literally. We get to meet a lot of mythical characters in person, and boy the legends don't do them justice. For example nobody mentioned Char's aka. Charon's sense of fashion. If you are newbie to the mythology you might have hard time making the connections but for more experienced fantasy fans I think there will be no problems recognising the people Kirsty meets. Nothing will be as you expected. Spiced up with quirky humor and puns generously sprinkled in Kirsty's comments, Hell sure turns out to be one wacky place.

Quote The Reluctant Reaper by Gina X. Grant

The Reluctant Reaper is mostly one big travel guide through Hell, since we follow Kirsty as she gets to know it's inhabitants and how the system works down there. Also there will be some harsh (and to me obvious) surprises revealed from Kirsty's life and how many karma points she earned.

There will be little time left for something else, although sexy grim reaper Dante who accidentally scythed Kirsty soul is never far from her mind. The attraction between them has a little bit insta-lust feel to it, I would have loved if romance progressed more slowly. But at least it was good for Kirsty:

"The Earth moved. So did Hell. And possibly some of the furniture. In fact, the sex was so good that even the neighbours had a cigarette!"

In The End...

The Reluctant Reaper is urban fantasy novel that will give a tour through wacky and original vision of hell invented by Gina X. Grant. If you would like to meet demons and various mythological characters in new light and you liked humor in Charley Davidson series, then you might also enjoy new urban fantasy series The Reluctant Reaper by Gina X. Grant.

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5


All Books in The Reluctant Reaper series

Book Cover: The Reluctant Reaper by Gina X Grant
  1. The Reluctant Reaper
  2. Scythe Does Matter - Expected pub. date: July 15th, 2013

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. The quote about curly hair is certainly spot on. Also, the other quote is funny too. Sounds like a paranormal readalike for Janet Evanovich, and I could roll with that. I love laughing, so maybe this series and I could be friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Janet Evanovich (yet) so I can't say. But this book is full with puns so although not all comments are funny, some of them hit the mark. :)
      Here's another one: (since I still have favorite quotes opened on my ereader ;) )
      "When life had handed me lemons, I'd gone online and purchased grapefruits. Victoria's Secret was safe with me."

      Delete
  2. You have to read the Janet Evanovich books--the Stephanie Plum series anyway. You'll love it!

    Thanks so much for the wonderful review. I'm glad you found those lines particularly entertaining. ;-D

    How did you make that awesome "real book" graphic? Can I steal, er, um, borrow it?

    Thanks, again,
    ~ Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know know... But I have too many books I want to read and too little time to read them all. *sigh* I hope I find time to squeeze Stephanie Plum series soon in my reading schedule.

      Thank you, I'm glad you liked my review. I found a lot of lines entertaining, but I could not write too many quotes. I also tried to not give anything away too much, so everyone will be as surprised as me when they enter hell. :D

      Yes you can use the book graphic freely. ;) I made it using this psd template, it's free so you only need Photoshop or other program who can open and edit psd files.

      Delete
    2. Yes, so many books, so little time. My TBR pile is now an entire bookcase. ;-D

      Thanks for the graphic and the link.

      Cheers,
      ~ g.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images