Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

 Top Ten Books Dealing With Tough Subjects
Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

I usually pick books that have spirit of adventure, discovery and excitement or that promise to be fun reads. I read to relax myself and I almost always deliberately skip books dealing with abuse, grief or other subjects that will leave me troubled or sad. But nevertheless from time some tough subjects sneak up on me when I least expect them...


Rape, Abuse, Death of Loved One, Adultery, Eternal Hunt for Perfect Happy Ending...
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

Rape
Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop

Loyalty to Friends vs. to the Crown/Government
The Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell

Rape
Easy by Tammara Webber

What It Means to Be Human
Nexus by Ramez Naam

Social Pressure/Abuse in School
Carrie by Stephen King

Social Pressure/Abuse in School
The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth LaBan

Coming of Ages Problems
A Coming of Age by Timothy Zahn

What It Means to Be Human
Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza

Rape
Nefertiti's Heart by A.W. Exley

Well that's it from me. What books are on your list today? Share your thoughts and links to your lists in comments! :)

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. I just got Mila 2.0 from the library! It looks really interesting, I hope I enjoy it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mila 2.0 was exciting and action packed for me, I hope you enjoy it too.

      Delete
  2. Mila 2.0. I didn't even think to consider that one in this list. Such a beautiful book. Need to read Nexus as well.
    My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nexus is much more adult read, not young adult. But if you are interested into genetic engineering it's very interesting and action packed the same as Mila 2.0

      Delete
  3. Carrie - excellent pick, I hadn't even thought of that. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie was very scary to me, I read it while I was elementary school and was scared that other students in high school are going to be mean to me like that. :)

      Delete
  4. I have Life After Life on my Kindle, but haven't read it yet. Great list!
    Natflix&Books' TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try, Life after life has a little bit weird ending but the book has so much emotion. I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  5. Wow, Life After Life sounds like an uplifting book! Haha. That's a lot of issues.

    I feel like I need to give you some more dark books, because Mila 2.0 wasn't very dark. Easy and The Tragedy Paper weren't all that dark by my standards either. Haha. Of course, I LOVE dark reads. Drowning Instinct is my fave. Sigh. Rips your heart into a million pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha the point of Life after life is that main character lives one life over and over again. So in 30 or something lives she managed to accumulate a lot of issues.

      Well I admitted at the beginning that I avoid books about social issues and abuse (or any dark book for that matter) like the plague. o:) Maybe I will start my Sadie Hawkins Sunday and then you will be able to recommend that book to me. ;)

      Delete
  6. I forgot about The Tragedy Paper in the midst of the things that actually did make my list. Like you, I tend not to intentionally seek out "issue" books, but they like to sneak into my reading pile more often than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I don't know about you, but the funny thing is I usually don't mind the tough subject when I start to read the book. :)

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images