Top Ten Favorite New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2012

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Top Ten Favorite New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2012

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

2012 was definitely a year when I read a lot of books by new-to-me authors. I participated in a challenge on Goodreads called 'Follow the leader'. After reading one book, the next book in reading chain you had to pick from 'Readers also enjoyed similar books' section. It was very fun and great way to discover new books and authors.


But always some books captivate you more than others. Here are some of my favorite books in 2012 by new-to-me authors:

  1. Kristin Cashore I fell in love with her Graceling Realm series. I honestly can not pick if I loved Graceling or Fire more - both were awesome. Original and interesting world building & strong kick-ass heroines. Bitterblue was nice too, although a little bit weaker than it's predecessors...
  2. Martha Wells I wanna thank N.K. Jemisin because if I she did not write an article about her top five fantasy authors I would have maybe never discovered Martha Wells. And it would have been such a shame. The Cloud Roads & The Serpent Sea have the most breath-taking world that I visited this year. (That reminds me I still need to check out other 4 authors from that list...)
  3. Rachel Hartman because Seraphina has great character development and slow sweet romance. I just love the dragons Rachel Hartman invented and can't wait to learn more about them...
  4. Peter S. Beagle Yes I know that he is not new author, but he's new to me. I can't believe that I did not read The Last Unicorn before. Great book - very poetic. I really need to read more classic fantasy next year...
  5. Marissa Meyer Cinderella as a cyborg? Yes she managed to pull it off in Cinder . One of the best retellings I ever read. I can not wait for Lunar Chronicles to continue...
  6. Kate Locke This was another surprise. My book club on Goodreads was reading God Save the Queen and I joined in and boy it was fun. It proves that even old topics like vampires & werewolves can be used originally in books.
  7. Robin Hobb Quantity of her work is daunting but this summer I finally read Farseer Trilogy. Great classic fantasy. Royal Assassin was my favorite part but Assassin's Apprentice and Assassin's Quest were very good too. I will be definitely reading more of her books next year.
  8. Ilona Andrews Kinsmen series was another pleasant surprise. Nice science fiction with a cute love story added. I read & loved both novellas in this series: Silent Blade & Silver Shark.
  9. N.K. Jemisin Another author that I've been listening praises from my friends for some time now. The Killing Moon was very original and interesting although a little bit complex book. I don't know why I didn't read next book in Dreamblood series, but I will need to correct that mistake soon....
  10. Ernest Cline Another surprisingly enjoyable read. Ready Player One was great sci-fi adventure. I hope this author will publish some new book soon...


Let's Talk:

Are any of these authors on your list? Share your thoughts and links to your lists in comments! :)

You Might Also Like

25 comments

  1. Love your choices and I also discovered the awesomeness of Kristin Cashore, Rachel Hartman, Marissa Meyer and Robin Hobb...I have yet to pick up the other authors you menioned, but I'll definitely look them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will like/enjoy them too. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. I loved Cinder by Marissa Meyer! I really need to check out some of the other authors on your list, I've heard of them and they seem really good.
    I'm a new follower!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by your blog it looks like you prefer YA books, so I would recommend you start from Seraphina & Garceling. Both are great Ya fantasy books.
      Thanks for stopping by and following.

      Delete
  3. Wow I see you're fan of Graceling series. I've read the first book and I'm not quite sure should I read the rest of it. Oh I must read Cinder! I have no idea why haven't I read it!! And yeah Seraphina was also good :)
    Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I liked the whole concept of graces very much. The second book Fire is not related to Graceling (new country, new hero/heroine) so if you just didn't like the characters, give Fire a try. If you didn't like the writting style then skip it, because there are no changes in that (of course).
      And yes you must read Conder! ;)

      Delete
  4. I loved Cinder by Marissa Meyer, I don't know why I forgot to put her on my list! I can't wait to read Scarlet!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for Scarlet too. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. Great list! I'm hoping to get around to N.K. Jemisin's books next year, she's been on my want-to-read pile for so long but for whatever reason I just haven't gotten around to her works yet...

    Here's my TTT for this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give her a chance. Definitely very original fantasy. :) And I know what you mean I have a lot of authors that I want-to-read and somehow never read them. :/
      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  6. I read the Last Unicorn for the first time too this year! Amazing story. Hopefully I'll get a chance to read Rachel Hartman's books soon.
    Here's my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Last Unicorn was so amazing and poetic. Great book. I hope you will read Seraphina soon. it's a great book.
      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  7. I haven't read a lot of these books. But I DID love Seraphina and Cinder. Great choices. I cannot wait for their sequels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great picks, Marrissa Meyer i love ! thanks for checking out my TTT !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm planning to read a book from Kristin Cashore next year! I loved Cinder from Marissa Meyer.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaya! I hope you will enjoy it. Which book by Kristin Cashore do you plan to read?

      Delete
  10. Some of these are on my wishlist this year and I'm so excited to read them :D Also if you liked Ilona Andrews sci-fi, you should check out her Kate Daniels series for urban fantasy if you like that genre. It's not the completely overdone stuff that a lot of books in that genre are, I promise! Great list and thanks for stopping by my blog this week :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend also recommended Kate Daniels series to me, I will have to grab them when I am book-shopping next time. :)
      And I hope you enjoyt the books from your wishlist as much as I did. ;) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. I haven't read anything by the author's on your list. But Seraphina and Cinder are on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give them a try soon. They are very good. :)

      Delete
  12. Another wonderful list, I love checking out your TT posts :D I agree with you on all the authors I know, and I've taken note of the ones I did not know! I loved Seraphina and Cinder, I'm working my way through Robin Hobb's books and I loved Graceling and have Fire but haven't read it yet, and I have Books 1 and 2 of Martha Well's series, again untouched. Must remedy it soon!!

    Shaheen @ Speculating on SpecFic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have some of my favorite books on that list...and some I have been meaning to read for a while. The Last Unicorn has been a favorite for some years. I also enjoyed the cartoon as a kid. While I have not read Jemisin's Killing Moon, her Hundred Thousand Kingdoms was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am always glad to meet new people with similar taste. :)
      I did not read Hundred Thousand Kingdoms yet but I plan to correct that mistake in 2013. :)

      Delete
  14. Yesss. Awesome list. <3 Sigh. Graceling and Fire and Bitterblue. <3 PERFECT books. Truly perfect. And Cinder! So good :D Thank you for sharing your list ;)
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images