• Monday, October 15, 2012

The Hoard Grows: Week #42 in 2012

The Hoard Grows is where I show off whatever new treasure joined my collection this week — bought, borrowed, gifted, or won. Credit where it's due: this meme was inspired by 'In My Mailbox,' created by The Story Siren, and 'Stacking the Shelves,' hosted by Tynga's Reviews — thank you both for the inspiration!

This week's haul came entirely from NetGalley approvals and a couple of free Kindle grabs — five review copies and two freebies, and not a single dollar spent. Since I don't keep an ordered to-read list and mostly pick my next read based on my mood, this is as good a way as any to preview what might eventually show up on the blog.

Offered by Allies

  • Stranded by Anne Bishop, Anthony Francis & James Alan Gardner — NetGalley — Stranded caught my attention because I adore the Black Jewels series by Anne Bishop, but this one is science fiction — one of my favorite genres — so I'm looking forward to all of it.
  • Devil's Bargain by Rachel Caine — NetGalley — Just the title gripped me, and I'm curious what kind of bargain the MC had to make.
  • Knife Sworn by Mazarkis Williams — NetGalley — I already own The Emperor's Knife, the first book in this series, so when I saw the sequel offered for review, I grabbed it. I haven't read the first book yet, but I will soon — so expect a review soon.
  • The Dead of Winter by Lee Collins — NetGalley — Again, the title gripped me — plus I don't read many westerns with paranormal elements, or westerns in general.
  • Nexus by Ramez Naam — NetGalley — Intriguing premise, can't wait to read it.

Kindle Freebies

Since I have over 100 unread paper books and I-don't-want-to-know-how-many ebooks on my Kindle, I'm trying to stop hoarding any more books until I make a dent in Mount TBR. So far, it's not working — but hey, at least I didn't spend any money this week, since these were all free. We take comfort where we can find it. ;)

What did you get this week? Did you already read any of these?

8 comments

  1. dont you just love free kindle reads? feel free to stop by and check out mine...
    http://asoutherngirlsbookshelf.blogspot.com/2012/10/imm-in-my-mailbox-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am a Kindle freebies addict. I was surprised when I compiled the list and saw that I had only two this week. :D

      Delete
  2. I loved Devil's Bargain, but then again I am a huge Rachel Caine fan. She has this way of making her characters so likable. I grow attached to them pretty easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never read anything by Rachel Caine before, but the cover on this one looked so good it just climbed up my TBR list. I hope I will like it too. :)

      Delete
  3. Great haul Dragana!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
    Samaine@ Bookworms Avenue

    ReplyDelete
  4. After wanting Darkness Falls for ages, I got it when it was free :D YAY

    I see you got Knife Sworn, have you read / did you like The Emperor's Knife, the first book of the series? Knife Sworn is going to be my November Must Read, I really luurrvvee the series :D

    Shaheen @ Speculating on SpecFic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I am glad to hear it. I also love it when I spot a book I was planning to buy for as a Kindle freebie. (who doesn't?) :)

      I did not read The Emperor's Knife, but I plan to read both books soon. I hope I will like it too. :)

      Delete