Book Review: The Ruling Sea by Robert V.S. Redick

Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Book Cover: The Ruling Sea by Robert V.S. Redick

The Ruling Sea

#2 in The Chathrand Voyage series

by Robert V.S. Redick


Age: Adult
Genre: Fantasy

Format: Ebook, 672 pages
Published On: December 28, 2010
Publisher: Del Rey (imprint of Random House)
Source: NetGalley

Read an Excerpt: Prologue & Chapter One

GoodreadsShelfariLibraryThing
AmazonBarnes & NobleBook Depository

First Sentence: The final, disastrous voyage of IMS Chathrand gave rise to many myths.

Summary

The plans of the dark sorcerer Arunis have been thwarted—for now. But the battle for control of the gargantuan ship Chathrand, on which hinges the fate of empires, is far from over. A small band of allies on board, bound together less by trust than by need, must scramble to fight an imperial conspiracy, while the sword-wielding Lady Thasha Isiq and the deckhand Pazel Pathkendle find themselves unwillingly drawn in to Arunis’s shadow games by unexpected secrets. Worst of all, in the belly of the Chathrand there lurks a festering horror, the product of a malevolent power determined to tear down the pillars of the world. Now, as the Chathrand sets course through the vast Ruling Sea—so large it has never been crossed in living memory—the fragile bonds of trust and love between the unlikely allies will be tested to the breaking point as they face unspeakable terrors, unimaginable wonders, and shattering betrayals that dwarf everything that has come before.

~ taken from Goodreads

Previous Books in Chathrand Voyages series

  1. The Red Wolf Conspiracy

My Thoughts

If you are following my ramblings reviews, you have probably read how much I liked The Red Wolf Conspiracy, first part of Chathrand Voyages. Not even a rough start with too much jumping between characters could dampen my enthusiasm.

But, as often happens to me when I like the first part in series so much, I delayed reading The Ruling Sea. Will it be as awesome? Maybe it was a fluke? Will Robert V.S. Redick disappoint me or earn a place in a hall of my all-time-favorites? Finally I have gathered enough courage to sail on further into the adventure.

From the beginning it's perfectly clear that Robert V.S. Redick listened to the readers input. The Ruling Sea has a much more concise start and jumps between characters are not so often. Also, the fact that most of the characters are familiar to us from The Red Wolf Conspiracy helps. Although my reading went much smoother, I could not but sadly notice that excitement and tension, because of this, were also tampered down in The Ruling Sea. I know, you can never please some people. o:)

I liked that The Ruling Sea gives us a better understanding of Mzithrini culture and that we get the better look at the so-called 'enemy' but I hoped that the plot will progress more. The Ruling Sea seemed more to deepen and clarify the characterisation and world building.

Maybe if The Red Wolf Conspiracy was not so full of adventure you would not hear me complaining me so much, it's not like nothing happens. Chathrand sails The Ruling Sea and some new strands in the web of the conspiracy are revealed. And with huge shock and discovery at the end, I am definitely left intrigued and ready to find out more.

In The End...

The Ruling Sea continues adding more intriguing depths to the characters and the world, that The Red Wolf Conspiracy introduced us to. Although maybe a little bit calmer in pacing, it's a solid sequel to the series. Chathrand Voyages still has my recommendation as a good fantasy adventure if you like ships, conspiracies and magic.

My Rating: 4 out of 5

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images