Scary Realization About My Book Picking Habits

Monday, July 01, 2013

When I tried to make list of Top Ten Books I've Read So Far In 2013 I discovered one scary thing. I don't have that much books I have loved in 2013. To be more accurate there are 4 5-star books and 3 4.5-star books.

Captain Jack Sparrow WTF Confused

I never thought about myself as a very strict judgmental reader. I always approach a book expecting to like it. Books are my best friends after all. :) So why are there not more high ratings? It's obvious if we look at the genre of books:

  • 5 star books: YA Fantasy, Fantasy, YA Dystopia
  • 4.5 star books: Historical Fiction, YA Fantasy, Fantasy

But how many books I have read from these genres in 2013?

  • YA Fantasy: 8
  • Fantasy: 3
  • YA Dystopia: 3
  • Historical Fiction: 2

Except for YA Fantasy, I have obviously neglected these other genres. Instead the genres I have read most in 2013 are Contemporary Romance (average rating: 3.11) and YA Paranormal (average rating: 3.07).

I must be crazy! Pretty shiny covers and hype about new books proved to be too distracting for me...

Captain Jack Sparrow Crazy

Lately I was reading without much enthusiasm, since it seemed like none of the books I have read were very enjoyable to me. And now after looking at this statistic, it's obvious that my choice of genres is the problem. In the future I will try to read more books from:

Genres With Highest Average Rating In 2013 On My Blog

  • Fantasy: 4.33
  • Steampunk: 4.25
  • Science Fiction: 4
  • YA Fantasy: 3.88
  • Historical Fiction: 3.75
  • Post-Apocalyptic: 3.75

So expect much much more books from these genres for a change. Yep, that's right. I am steering this blog in a slightly different direction.

Captain Jack Sparrow Direction

Well I guess that was the point of this post. :)

How about you? Do you find yourself reading books just because they have pretty covers and neglect your favorite genres? Or am I the only one?

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. A. So excited, my favorite genres are your new focus :D
    B. I tend to have fairly narrow reading taste because I unconsciously steered myself to those genres I tend to like best and apparently don't get distracted by the shiny ;-) That being said, fantasy covers are pretty shiny these days too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A. They are my favorite genres too. ;)
      B. My reading is all over the place, so I will have to make a conscious effort to steer myself to the genres I prefer. But kudos to you and your awesome steering skills. :D And yes fantasy covers are also very beautiful these days too. :)

      Delete
  2. You're not the only one. I actually love reading all genres (as long as the book is great), but my most fav is fantasy, but I know what you mean.

    Last year I've let myself to be too distracted by new well-praised books, which I ended up not liking (although of course there were those that I did end up loving), and as a result of reading books like that, I was in lots of reading slumps :( One lasted for months, so after that I decided to read what I know I'll love, meaning reading fav authors, as well as being really picky with my reads, especially when it comes to YA.

    Bu the way, I absolutely love all of those genres. Just read & review what makes you happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what happened to me. I see a pretty cover, hear 'this book is going to be great' at wows on a lot of blogs and I request it. And then when I read it it's sometimes so boring I get demotivated to read. :/
      I am reading more fantasy lately and I already feel better. ;)

      Delete
    2. There's nothing better then good fantasy book :D

      Delete
  3. I think it's great to venture to something new once in awhile, but for the most part I like to read what makes me happy. I really try to have a couple of very different books on hand because I'm really a what am I in the mood for reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right, I realized that I was picking what looked and sounded good instead to pick books based on themes and genres that made me happy. But I plan to change that now. :)

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images